Monday, January 3, 2011

Vietnamese Herbs

Herb is a very important element of Vietnamese cuisine. Herbs are not just for garnish but it enhances the taste and smell of each dish. A bowl of pho is not the same without a couple leaves of Thai basil. You simply cannot replace Vietnamese coriander with any other herb when you make Goi Ga. Each herb has a specific aroma and taste that compliment and complete a dish. In this entry I will only reference the best usage for specific herbs when preparing Vietnamese food. I do not have pictures for everything yet but will continue to update. Please visit Vietherbs if you would like more detailed information and pictures.

Hung Que (Thai Basil)

Soup: Pho, Bun Bo Hue
Salad: Goi Du Du, Bo Tai Chanh, Goi Ngo Sen, Goi Xoai Xanh
Others: Banh Cuon, Cha Gio

Rau Ram (Vietnamese Coriander)

Soup: Banh Canh Cua, Canh Ca Chua
Salad: Goi Ga, Goi Vit, Goi Do Bien, Hen Suc Banh Trang, Ga Xe Phay
Others: Seafood, Hot Vit Lon, Tiet Canh

Tia To (Vietnamese Perilla):
Usually an accompaniment for soups with seafood and it does goes very well with blood cubes.

Soup: Bun Rieu, Canh Bun, Bun Oc
Others: Doi Tiet

He (Chinese Chives)
Soup: Canh Dau Hu, Hu Tieu, Mi
Others: Goi Cuon, Gia Xao, Mien Xao, Mi Xao

Ngo Gai (Sawtooth Cilantro)
Soup: Pho, Mien Ga, Chao Long
Salad: Goi Do Bien, Tiet Canh

Ngo (Cilantro)
Chopped cilantro is often mixed together with green onions to topped off most soups

Ti La (Vietnamese Dill)
Soup: Canh Ca Ca Chua, Canh Khoai So
Others: Cha Ca Thang Long

7 comments:

Amy said...

you're the best, thuy! happy new year, by the way!

Thuy said...

Happy New Year, hope you have a year full of good food :p

kim said...

want to ask if u had stuff tufo with pork its mmmm, i love your cookin thuy, thanks kim

Thuy said...

Kim,

Somebody just asked me about the same recipe the other day. Dau Nhoi Thit is one of my favorite so I will definitely post that recipe in the near future. Thanks for commenting :)

kim said...

thanks thuy i cant wait for tht recipe for dau nhoi thit. kim

thanh said...

Hi Thuy,
I am living in San Jose, California and would like to be your friend. Appreciate all your post for cooking. I love to cook and want to learn to cook. I wish I have a chance to meet you sometime. Would you like to chat with me? I am a mother of 2 kids and work for a CPA firm as Audit Manager. My husband works as a chip designer @ semiconductor co. and we used to live in South Vietnam. My email add: thanhson3535@yahoo.com
Regards
Thanh

Boca Raton Window Shutters said...

Hello mate niice blog